Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Jerk

We all know them. Perhaps we are one, have been one, are married to one, friends with one or just try to avoid them. Someone who takes games far too seriously and generally just ruins the fun of playing a game. Every rule has to be followed to the letter, he (or she) takes every opportunity to challenge any creative "bending" of the rules, and only his interpretation of the rules was correct; basically everything is black and white. The interesting thing is that this could be someone who is normally very easy going and fun. But they see any game as a big competition and all of their focus goes into winning the game at all costs. Even to the point of cheating themselves (but that is another post entirely).

I myself am an admitted jerk. Just ask my wife. Though, I can happily say that I am a reformed jerk. When I was young (and not so young) I distinctly remember a number of occasions where a game would degenerate into a full on shouting match. These were almost all times with my family and even now when I am with my family I have to restrain myself. Some of this can stem from the natural tendency for families to fight but I've seen and heard of it outside of families as well.

One of the biggest things that contributed to my change of heart was when I started going to people's homes to share games with them as a business. You don't make a good impression with a potential customer by arguing over a minor point in the rules and doing everything possible to make a game fun increases the chance that someone would want to play it again and therefore want to make a purchase.

My change may have begun with my own self interest but it brought me to a point where I truly believe that it is far more important to simply enjoy a game than it is to win. That way even if I don't win I still had fun and helped make sure everyone else was comfortable as well. Because nothing kills the fun faster then when there is a "Jerk" around.

Have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Having been at various times the "Jerk" in a game I can completely relate to this. I would say I too am a recovering "Jerk".

    There seem to be a few different types that could each use there own entry.

    1. The Rules Nazi - makes sure every rule is followed to the letter of the law (according to their understanding)
    2. The Armchair Strategist - Questions other players choices of moves - "Why would you do that?"
    3. The Sore Loser
    4. The Ungracious Winner
    5. The Whiner - nothing in the game "ever" goes their way and they let everyone know about it.
    6. The Analyzer-lyzer-lyzer-lyzer... - you get the idea.

    There are probably others - but all of these things I have done to some extent or another at various times in my gaming career. All of them make the game less enjoyable for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the best games I've played happened when we threw out the rules entirely and made up our own! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to comment or contribute to the discussion.